The Royal Mile, Edinburgh
Gladstone’s Land is a historic tenement building and merchant’s house situated on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile with over 500 years of commercial and residential occupancy
Drinkall Dean were commissioned to turn the commercial aspects of this National Trust for Scotland venue into a luxury ice cream and coffee parlour, and redevelop the upper floor apartments into luxury accommodation. Interpretation is embedded throughout the building, revealing stories about the building in all areas. We worked with Pyrah Design who designed the interpretation graphics as well as creating a new brand identity for the site.
The middle floors are preserved and include a series of historically significant painted ceilings dating between 1540 and 1640, available to see through guided tours.
The concept behind the refurbishment of the building was to reveal the structure and highlight the building’s transformation over hundreds of years, whilst reminding visitors that this building continues to live and create history today. The design is contemporary, with an attention to detail and craftsmanship throughout.
Photography by Rob McDougall